1. He uses the phrase “I reckon...” at the beginning of his sentences.
2. He spits out the window while going down the road at 70 mph.
3. He has a pair of boots for every occasion.
4. He believes in an all-meat diet. No salads or pasta for him.
5. He can play guitar. Mostly Merle Haggard, George Jones and Conway.
6. He loves the movie Lonesome Dove and lives by the lessons it teaches.
7. He has more tools than dishes in his house.
8. He cleans his truck more often than his bathroom.
9. He has a favorite pair of camouflage overalls.
10. Before I made an appearance, he liked his women a little on the trashy side.
11. He begins in spring to worry about moving a deer stand he won’t use until the fall.
12. Everywhere he has lived includes the name of a body of water or an animal (eg. Turkey Creek, Bayou Chicot, Lake Cove, etc.).
13. He is hard-working and skillful with his hands.
14. He leaves his wallet at home, house unlocked and his keys in his truck claiming that anyone stupid enough to steal from him is bound to get shot sooner or later.
15. His idea of giving good directions is, “...go about a mile and half after you come off the second hill, it’s the last paved road to your right. If you hit the gravel road that forks off, you went too far.”
Yep, he’s country alright! This truck-lovin’, deer-huntin’, guitar playin’ country man of mine is the third and main ingredient to complete the simple, green country life I’ve always dreamed of - 12 gauge and all. The longer I live in the country, the more country I become. For some reason, sitting on my front porch with a glass of sweet iced-tea or a hot cup of coffee with my country man sounds like the perfect life to me!